Monday, January 2, 2012

Goal Setting or Realistic New Year's Resolutions

January = Goal Setting!  My goal for 2012 is to lose 10 pounds, be a kinder, gentler person and increase my salary by X. Sounds great, right? But is it realistic? Is it achievable? Is it going to get me to where I want to be at the end of 2012?  When I googled "goal setting" a lot of information came up.  No surprise there, everyone has a sure-fire system to set goals. Wikipedia defines Goal setting [as a process that] "involves establishing specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-targeted (S.M.A.R.T) goals. "  So, my question to myself  is, are my goals specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-targeted? If not, how can I make them so? How can you make S.M.A.R.T. goals for yourself and your business? First, start by looking at your business plan we discussed way back in November. What is it you would like to achieve in 2012? As an example, let's say it is to increase sales by 10%. OK, is that a realistic goal? How are you going to do that? The specific is the how behind the goal. Maybe you will contact 20 potential clients each month or set up a new marketing promotion. Now, how will you measure the goal? Just because you contacted 20 potential clients or set up the promotion, how many of those contacted turned into a sale? And how much should the sale = to get to the 10% increase by the end of 2012? Now you've got the specific and measurable. How about achievable? Can you personally contact 20 potential customers per month? Do you have the budget for a new promotion? Is this realistic? Now, how about the time-target? Is year-end a good time to look at where you are? Perhaps you should set up weekly, monthly and quarterly sub-goals to keep you on track. The process of S.M.A.R.T. will help you set up realistic goals this January. I'll work on making my goals more S.M.A.R.T. and you do the same! Post any questions, comments, or concerns and let's chat!






No comments:

Post a Comment